Hours: Thursday thru Saturday 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Sunday 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM, flexible in hours required
Reports to: Events Manager
Date updated: 2/15/2017
The Marin Art & Garden Center (MAGC) is an independent non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and sharing our beautiful historic site, while enriching our community through exploration and discovery in the arts and the natural environment.
MAGC’s tranquil 11 acre grounds include several indoor/outdoor event venues that host hundreds of events every year including, workshops, lectures, fundraisers, weddings, memorials, business meetings, and board retreats. The goal of the events staff is to make all of our guests’ events special.
MAGC is looking for a highly qualified and energetic Event Assistant to assist in the execution of all aspects of event planning, production, and outreach for multiple community and cultural events. The Event Coordinator will work closely with the Events Manager to ensure that all production-related elements are properly handled in a timely and professional manner.
This is a multi-faceted position perfect for someone looking to break into the community and cultural event production field. The ideal candidate will be comfortable wearing many different hats, and will be extremely detail oriented with strong communications skills, both speaking and writing. In addition, this position requires someone who is a self- starter and enjoys working in a fast-paced, small office environment.
- Provide support to the Events Manager
- Staff the front desk on Saturdays and Sundays, greet visitors, answer questions and provide office management support (managing phones, mail and email, filing, etc)
- Keep and update most current rental forms on hand for Events Manager
- Review private event bills for accuracy and request deposit returns
- Assist in pre-event and post-event communications
- Follow up with caterers and other vendors related to events
- Inventory and manage assets in event storage spaces
- Coordinate and communicate with volunteers for programs and special events.
- Assist in the development and organization of all aspects of event logistics, including, schedules, timelines, layouts, signage, task lists, and appointments
- Assist with managing on-site production and clean up for events as necessary
- Proactively handle any arising issues, troubleshoot any emerging problems on the event day, and communicate with Events Manager
- Assist with related errands, including drop-offs and pick-ups of event materials
- Accept deliveries
- Give occasional site tours for events
OUTREACH & PLANNING
- Assist in the execution of social and digital media outreach, including drafting emails and social media posts
- Assist with all community, vendor, client and internal outreach and communication (written and verbal)
- Review and refine event planning and implementation process with Event Manager’s approval
- Research and order equipment needs for events
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule
- A warm and friendly demeanor
- Event, catering, hospitality experience is a plus
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Positive, energetic personality, capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- Must be a self-starter, creative, flexible, and possess the ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and well with others
- Proficiency in general computer programs – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.
- Ability to carry 40 pounds, sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment
This role is a non-exempt, employee role. Hours anticipated for this role are Thursday thru Sunday, primarily business hours with flexible times to accommodate evening events. Final candidates will be required to take an employment assessment test. Must be able to pass background check. No relocation is offered with this job.
Please submit a cover letter explaining why you are an appropriate candidate for this position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
- Compensation: Compensation based on skills and experience. 403b plan. PTO plus paid National holidays.
- Principals only. Recruiters please do not contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The Marin Art and Garden Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.