TIME: 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
LOCATION: José Moya del Pino Library
Dr. Marty Griffin, well known since WWII for his role in saving coastal watersheds and wildlife, will talk about some of the fascinating people and events in his medical and environmental career. The Battle for Bolinas Lagoon, Tomales Ba” and the Point Reyes National Seashore will be shown in a brief historic video. Dr. Griffin is founder of the Audubon Canyon Ranch and authored Saving the Marin Sonoma Coast, the basis for the film Rebels With a Cause.
L. Martin Griffin, Jr., widely known as ‘Marty’ Griffin, (born July 23, 1920) is an environmentalist and conservationist in Northern California and author of the book Saving the Marin-Sonoma Coast. He has also been a doctor, director of the Sonoma Developmental Center, head of the Marin Audubon Society, board member of the Marin Municipal Water District, and owner of Hop Kiln Winery in Sonoma County.
- The Griffin Loop Trail at Audubon Canyon Ranch is named in his honor.
- Griffin won the ‘Ted Wellman Water Award’ from the Marin Conservation League in 1997.
- He was awarded the 2005 Citizen Emeritus Award by the city of Belvedere.
- In 2007 he was named on a list of Marin’s 13 Most Influential by Marin Magazine.
- Also in 2007, he was presented with the 2007 Environmental Leader of Marin Award by the Environmental Education Council of Marin.
- He was honored one day after his 90th birthday on July 24, 2010 at a special sold-out event at the Audubon Canyon Ranch. It was announced that the 1,000-acre (4.0 km2) Bolinas Lagoon Preserve, administered by the Audubon Canyon Ranch, would be renamed the Martin Griffin Preserve.
- Griffin was awarded the ‘Bay Nature Award’ for lifetime achievement as a conservation leader on Jan 22, 2011.
- He was honored with the first John Muir Legacy Conservation Award by the John Muir Association in Martinez CA on Saturday, April 20, Earth Day 2013.
For more information, please visit: http://martingriffin.org/
Also a SPECIAL PRIZE DRAWING !
A catered luncheon will follow.
DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED