The Marin Art & Garden Center (MAGC) is a treasured resource which provides a relaxing environment for our guests as well as beautiful surroundings in which to work. We are an independent non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and sharing our beautiful historic site, while enriching our community through exploration and discovery in the arts and the natural environment.
MAGC’s tranquil 11-acre grounds include many trees, gardens, and specialty gardens. In addition to attracting garden enthusiasts, the grounds host thousands of visitors every year to indoor and outdoor events, including art exhibits, workshops, lectures, fundraisers, weddings, memorials, business meetings, and board retreats.
The garden staff are often our first point of contact with the public. Our gardeners must not only have experience and skills in gardening but also the ability to answer questions with knowledge and friendliness so that every visitor, volunteer, and tenant has a positive experience.
· Maintain garden areas, including trees, shrubs, ground cover, lawns, paths, and patios; weed; water; fertilize; prune; troubleshoot irrigation; and pick up litter
· Assess and communicate growing conditions and individual plant needs and control plant diseases using green-friendly options
· Participate in initial planting and seasonal succession planting under the direction of the Garden Manager
· Keep sheds, tools, and supplies clean and organized
· Safely operate landscaping equipment and vehicles
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Interest in and some working knowledge of plants and horticulture
· Interest in becoming proficient in various gardening techniques
· Work independently and with others
· Follow directions from the Garden Manager
· Punctuality, dependability, and efficiency
· Excellent oral communication skills, including with the general public
· Lift up to 30 pounds routinely and up to 70 pounds intermittently
· Work in inclement weather
· Eligibility to work in California
· Current valid California driver’s license
To apply for this position, please send your resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please no phone calls—the office is currently closed and staff are working remotely.