DATE: October 28, 2016
TIME: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
LOCATION: The Studio
The Highlight of the fall will be the dedication of our newly-renovated historic building, The Studio. Designed by architect Gardner Dailey in 1948 and built for the Marin Society of Artists, The Studio will be the new hub of activity for lectures, performances, workshops, and art exhibitions presented at the Center.
The public is invited to an Open House to celebrate the renovation on Friday, October 28th from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. There will be refreshments and a chance to see the inaugural exhibition, “The Alcatraz Florilegium: Botanical Art from Life on the Rock” as well as an exhibit about the history of the Marin Art and Garden Fair, which was held at the Marin Art & Garden Center from 1946-1970.
RSVP’s are appreciated but not required! Call 415-455-5260 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Renovation of The Studio
The building was renovated in 2016 under the guidance of architect and MAGC board member Jessica Fairchild, AIA of Fairchild Broms Design. MAGC’s facilities manager, Ken Cottrell, a retired general contractor, managed the project.
We are grateful to the following who participated in giving this handsome building a new life:
- Immaculate Concrete
- Andy Giddings Color & Design
- Woodacre Electric
- Dickson Company
- Lehmann Plumbing
- Linscott Engineering Contractors
- Aztec Drywall
- Anna Kondolf
- Duane Johnson of Artistic Lighting and Design
- Karl Dannecker of Corporate Media Systems
More about the history of The Studio
Fran Cappelletti, librarian and board member of the Moya Library – Ross Historical Society, contributed the following information about modernist architect Gardner Dailey, as noted in the book, Signature Architects of the Bay Area, by Dave Weinstein:
“Dailey was well known as one of the pioneers in Bay Area modern architecture as part of the Second Bay Tradition. Starting his career as a landscape architect, he later designed in traditional styles for a time before embarking on his innovative designs. Notable credits include Tolman and Hertz Halls at UC Berkeley, the Brazil Building in Berkeley’s Tilden Park and the Allied Arts Guild in Menlo Park.”
For more information, please see “A History of Architects and Their Work at the Marin Art and Garden Center”.
The original architectural plan for the MAGC building is housed at the College of Environmental Design Archives at the University of California, Berkeley. A copy of the plan will be on view in The Studio.
The Marin Society of Artists was begun in 1927 as a support group for artists who met in each others homes and public places. The Society moved to the Marin Art and Garden Center in 1948 when the Gallery was completed, thanks to a contribution from Frances Young, a patron of the arts and a friend of Caroline Livermore, founder of the Center. The Society held regular exhibitions of work by its members and other artists, and hosted a popular rental gallery. The MSA left the Marin Art & Garden Center at the end of 2015 and is now located at 1515 3rd Street in San Rafael. See www.marinsocietyofartists.org.